Post by LUCY & LENTILS
Vegan Oyster Mushroom, Wild Rice, and Shiitake Soup.
This vegan-friendly wild rice soup is quick to prepare, works well in a slow cooker, and is ideal for weeknight meals. I sought to blend simple yet excellent flavors to create a soup that is hearty, nourishing, and soothing.
What’s in the recipe?
Wild Rice, Mixed Mushrooms, Vegan Cream, Tamari, Stock
- tbsp vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 large carrot
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 white onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 200 g mixed mushrooms (I used a mixture of shiitake chanterelle and oyster
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 Kallo Organic Garlic & Herb stock Cube + 750ml water
- 250 ml plant based cream
Herbs & seasoning:
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp marjoram sub for chilli flakes
- 180 g cooked wild rice *refer to notes if cooking in the soup
- 1 tbsp pine nuts optional to top
- Finely chop the carrot, onion, garlic cloves, stalk of celery and fry in the butter for 5 minutes
- Add the roughly chopped mushrooms and add the tamari, smoked paprika, and herbs *note* set aside a handful of the mushrooms to add on top at the end, so they stay crisp
- Add the water & stock cube and stir together followed by adding the vegan cream and turn right down to a low heat
- Stir in the cooked wild rice and season generously with salt and pepper
NOTES: If you’re cooking the rice in the pot, add an extra 250ml of water to allow the rice to absorb the water; keep an eye on the water level and add more if necessary.